Subject Matter: Fourteenth Station of the Cross ~ Jesus is Buried
- To further the knowledge of the events of Holy Week.
- To foster the habit of returning love for love through prayer and sacrifice.
- To teach the article of the Apostles’ Creed: “Was crucified, died and was buried.”
After Jesus died, who do you suppose was there to take care of His dead body? (Show picture of fourteenth Station.)
Mary and the Holy Women Prepare Jesus for Burial
Mary the holy women who had followed Jesus now took His body. With tender love they made it ready for burial. How tenderly they must have handled His sacred body. What thoughts must have passed through their minds as they recalled His kindness and goodness and the terrible suffering He accepted for our sins.
Jesus is Buried
Finally Mary and others put Jesus’ body in a tomb. The tomb is not His own; He had no place to rest His head either in life or in death. He even had to borrow a tomb from a friend. Won’t you open your hearts to Jesus, to give Him a place to rest? He will bless you very much if you do.
Teach the Article of the Apostles’ Creed
“Was crucified, died and was buried.”
- Who prepared the body of Jesus for burial?
- Where was Jesus buried?
- How long did Jesus tell His enemies He would remain in the grave?
- Did the Jews believe Him?
Virtues and Practices
- Tell Jesus you believe in Him.
- Take your sorrows to Mary.
- Love to make the “Way of the Cross.”
- Discuss the picture.
- Compose and chart an original prayer.
- Visit the Church and make the “Stations of the Cross.”
- Poem: “Jesus is Laid in the Tomb,” Belger, Sing a Song of Holy Things, p. 74
- Stations of the Cross Coloring Book