Holy Thursday – Institution of the Holy Eucharist
Free Religion Lesson from Our Holy Faith, Book 1 Teacher’s Manual
- To develop knowledge of the great love of Jesus for us manifested in the institution of the Holy Eucharist
- To foster a deep love for the Blessed Sacrament
Recall the events of Jesus’ humble washing of the Apostles’ feet on Holy Thursday. Jesus did this in preparation for a far more important thing He was to do on the same night.
The Institution of the Eucharist
Before Jesus would die on the cross He wanted to give us a special gift. He wanted to give us Himself, His Body and His Blood. So, at that Last Supper, Jesus took bread into His holy hands, blessed it and said “This is My Body.” At once this bread became Jesus’ Body. Then Jesus took a cup of wine blessed it and said “This is My Blood.” At once the wine became Jesus’ precious Blood. Jesus gave His Body and His Blood to the Apostles. They were the first people to receive Holy Communion.
Jesus also said “Do this in My memory.” He gave the Apostles the power to do what He did, to change bread into Jesus’ sacred Body and to change wine into His precious Blood. The Apostles were made Jesus’ first priests. The priests have the power to say Mass and to change bread and wine into Jesus’ Body and Blood.
- When was the first Mass offered?
- Who offered the first Mass?
- What did Jesus do for the Apostles?
- Who offers Mass today?
- When did priests receive the power to offer Mass?
- What takes place at the Consecration of the Mass?
- What did our Lord tell the Apostles in His farewell talk?
Virtues and Practices
- Make special visits to church on Holy Thursday to thank Jesus for this great give of Himself.
- Be good in church when you make a visit.
- Assist well at Holy Mass.
Suggested Learning Activities
- Tell why Jesus instituted this great sacrament of His love.
- Explain how to make a Spiritual Communion.
- Recall proper behavior during the Consecration of the Mass.
- Make up original prayers for a visit to the Blessed Sacrament.
- Ejaculation: “My Lord and my God”
- Filmstrip: The Mass for Young Children
- Story: “Holy Thursday” Sr. Marguerite, Their Hearts are His Garden, pp. 145-146
- S.N.D. Religious Teaching of Young Children, pp. 160-162
- Dennerle, Leading the Little Ones to Christ, pp. 185
- Sister Marguerite, Their Hearts are His Garden, pp. 143-145